With the net-zero deadline fast approaching, it’s important that we collectively to do all that we can to continue to reduce the amount of greenhouse emissions we are producing. It may seem like a small contribution, but if every restaurant was to buy bulk herbs and spices, they would be doing their bit to contribute to that target in more ways than one! Lets take a closer look.
Why Is It So Important to Reduce Our Carbon Footprint?
In short, our planet depends on it. A ‘carbon footprint’ is the overall amount of greenhouse gas emissions, consisting primarily of carbon dioxide, associated with an organization, event or production. An increase in greenhouse gas emissions, and therefore a larger carbon footprint, is the primary event associated with climate change that has led to global warming.
Our increasing carbon footprint is having detrimental effects on the environment. Rising temperatures and shifting precipitation patterns are changing the growing patterns of plants and have resulted in indigenous vegetation moving to cooler climates. Sea levels are rising as the temperature of our planet increases and now, warmer water occupies more space than cooler water, affecting all ocean life. Rising seas will not only erode shorelines and destroy ecosystems, but coastal towns could also be displaced by rising seas.
How Can the Catering Industry Help?
We’ve seen a huge change in the catering industry in the past ten years when it comes to an eco-friendly way of business. We’ve seen many restaurants offer more vegetarian and vegan friendly food, we’ve also seen usage of plastic come down significantly, but there is still more that our restaurants could be doing.
Restaurants throw out 52 billion pounds worth of food each year. Buying dried produce with a longer sell by date, including bulk herbs and spices, is a great way to minimise food wastage. If your restaurant knows the stock that they use on a regular basis, and how much they go through on average in a month, it is far more beneficial for the environment, and for business, to buy in bulk.
The Benefits of Buying Bulk Herbs and Spices
- It’s actually a lot cheaper and therefore, more cost effective for your restaurant to buy bulk herbs and spices, as you will save money long term.
- World of Spice produce is fresh, full of flavour and long lasting. The high quality of our seasonings, herbs and spices means that they last longer, so you don’t have to buy as much, but guests will always get that authentic and delicious taste in whatever cuisine you cook up.
- Our bulk herbs and spices have a stronger flavour, due to their high volatile oil content. This means that their general essential oil concentration is rich, so you don’t need to use so much to achieve that authentic flavour profile, like you would with lower quality products. The advantage is that chefs can achieve a great, full flavour without having to use excessive herbs and spices, which would compromise the overall presentation and texture of the dish.
- Scheduled deliveries mean you can guarantee what stock you’ll have and when. You can efficiently plan a menu and satisfy your customers!
- With 45% of waste in landfills attributed to food packaging and containers, buying bulk herbs and spices and other produce in large quantities can really help to reduce unnecessary packaging, including plastic. You can also recycle or up-cycle your bulk packaging after use.
- Buying in bulk also helps to reduce overall food waste as it allows you to have as much as much as you need!
- Purchasing bulk herbs and spices and produce also contributes to less transport transmissions through deliveries. Having timely deliveries stops multiple trips a week, cutting down on petrol emissions, but ensures you’ll always have what you need.
- Bulk herbs and spices are key ingredients in vegetarian and vegan dishes; cutting down on meat and dairy can also help to reduce greenhouse gas emission.
Get in Touch
If you’re looking for a way to contribute to a greener way of business, buying bulk herbs and spices is a steadfast step in the right direction! At World of Spice, we can accommodate your specific business requirements. We offer a large range of herbs, spices, seasonings and other dehydrates in a wide range of recyclable packaging. We are committed to ensuring your produce is available at every opportunity. Additionally, we always keep up to date with new packaging options to ensure you have the latest environmentally friendly products available to you.
Our family-run team are personable and highly customer focused, with a commitment to lessen our impact on the environment. You can enjoy our flexible and comprehensive service when is most convenient for you. We want to help develop your menu by offering top notch flavours, bespoke blends and solutions through seasoning. From timely deliveries, tailored packaging, to private labels, we can accommodate your business needs.
For more information about our services and what we can offer you, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call our team on 01277 633303. We look forward to hearing from you.