At World of Spice bulk seasoning suppliers, we’re celebrating World Vegetarian Day this Sunday, 1st October! This week, we take a closer look at the veggie diet, its benefits and how you can easily spice up your ingredients.
What is Vegetarian Diet?
Being a vegetarian means that you do not eat meat or fish. Usually, a vegetarian diet consists a vast array of dairy, fruits, vegetables, grains, pulses, nuts and seeds. Those thinking of going vegan often consider a vegetarian diet to aid the ease of transition.
There is sometimes some confusion as to whether vegetarians can eat eggs. Vegetarianism means that you exclude eating any form of animal flesh (the tissue, muscles or meat of an animal). Eggs do not fall into this category, so can be included in a standard vegetarian diet.
Forms of Vegetarianism
There are several types of vegetarianism, these include:
- Lacto-Vegetarian:Eliminates meat, fish, poultry, and eggs but allows dairy products.
- Ovo-Vegetarian:Eliminates meat, fish, poultry, and dairy products but allows eggs.
- Pescatarian:Eliminates meat and poultry but allows fish and potentially eggs and dairy products.
- Flexitarian:A mostly vegetarian diet that incorporates occasional meat, fish, or poultry.
The Benefits of a Vegetarian Diet
From the positive impact on human health, to the greener impact on the environment, a vegetarian diet could benefit us all (even if it’s on a flexitarian basis!). Here, our bulk seasoning suppliers detail just some of the countless benefits:
A vegetarian diet is naturally high in fibre, vitamins and nutrients and low in saturated fat, particularly in comparison to a non-vegetarian diet. Health wise, a veggie diet reduces the risk of –
- Cardiovascular disease
- Certain cancers
- Metabolic syndrome
- Type 2 Diabetes.
- Linked to lower BMI and weight loss
People are often concerned that a vegetarian diet lacks the nutrients found in animal products. However, you can find all these in a vegetarian diet. The majority of animals get their protein from plants - by eating a vegetarian diet you directly get the nutrients you need.
Other benefits include the environmental effect:
- It’s more cost effective for all.
- A more plant-based diet is largely sustainable, causing less harm to the planet than eating meat.
- No pollution of water - For example, animal waste, antibiotics, pesticides and fertilisers associated with livestock. Commercial fishing can also pollute the oceans and harm ecosystems.
- No destruction of rainforests - Much of the land that is used for animal agriculture or growing crops that become animal feed would otherwise be natural habitats such as rainforests.
- The endangerment of species - The destruction of rainforests and other habitats creates an unstable environment and disrupts the natural food chain. This threatens species which are already under threat, largely due to human behaviour, and puts some at risk of endangerment and possibly even extinction.
- Contributing to animal welfare.
Spicing Up Your Veggie Options
If you’re wanting to inject maximum flavour in your vegetarian dishes, our bulk seasoning suppliers would always recommend using dried herbs and spice. They guarantee better quality, more potency, easier storage and cost-effectiveness. Purchasing dried produce in bulk, especially for trade, is always cheaper and more eco-friendly than buying fresh elsewhere.
Did you know that dried wholesale herbs and spices are actually a lot more flavoursome than fresh? The use of them will effortlessly enhance the flavours across your vegetarian menu. Good quality dried produce will always have a stronger and deeper flavour than fresh, elevating your cuisine instantly. Because of their potency, you can usually add less to your dishes, than you would fresh. Taste as you go to make sure your dish has the required elements ticks your boxes!
With dried wholesale herbs and spices, they’re all processed and packaged for longevity and freshness. The flavour of dried produce will last because they don’t go ‘off’. However, if they are opened and kept for a long time without use, naturally, the herbs and spices will lose potency. Storing your produce in a cool, dark room will increase the amount of time they last
Get in Touch
At World of Spice bulk seasoning suppliers, our produce is known internationally for its delicious flavour. We always deliver the highest quality products, to aid authentic vegetarian and vegan cuisine. If you’re looking to buy wholesale herbs and spices, we can arrange fast and convenient delivery to meet your business or consumer needs.
From bespoke blends to a choice of packaging, complete with custom labelling, our comprehensive service can help you achieve your culinary goals. For more information about our services and what we can offer you, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org, or feel free to call our team on 01277 633303. We look forward to hearing from you.